Monday, February 20, 2012

Chinese Home Cooking: Chinese Broccoli with Mushrooms and Chicken

For the most part, I feel I know how to cook.  I want to now learn how to cook what my dad makes... the family recipes.  So I told my dad that I wanted him to walk me through the process of how he makes some of his signature dishes so I could take notes and document the process.  We started very simple: Chinese broccoli with chicken and mushrooms.

You start with preparing the Chinese broccoli:


And the mushrooms if you want these:

These are King Oyster Mushrooms. They are huge!









Cut up the chicken or pork or whatever meat you want.

Start by cooking the chicken:

You'll add a little bit of MSG, salt, and sugar to this mixture.  Cook until about 75% cooked through.
Add the Chinese broccoli and the mushroom.  Add some oyster sauce.  Cook until vegetables are cooked but still crisp. 


This is definitely more Chinese home cooking.  Fresh and healthy!
I told him I'd like to learn one new thing each time I come into town.  I want to learn specific things like how to make the Chinese beef stew, curry, braised pork in soy sauce, etc.   So be on the look out for future post.

No comments:

Post a Comment